Wednesday, January 6, 2010

let them eat cake

The thing about wedding cakes is they cost a ridiculous amount of money. We want cake because it's delicious, but we don't want to spend $500 on something we'd just tear apart.

The other day I came across a web site, instructables.com, and was browsing their recipe section when I saw something fantastic: Pie in a Jar.

Dude. I could make cake in a jar! I could get several dozen 8 oz jars (10 dozen = 120 jars). Then I could make sponge cake, rip it apart, and put cake chunks in the bottom of the jar, then a layers of strawberries and whipped cream. Simple, summery, and delicious. I'd totally have to freeze them though, so the whipped cream didn't melt. Which is fine; I'd just need to find people who would let me stash jars of cake in their freezers.

Wedding Cake in a Jar. Then we could just put a jar at each place setting. It would serve a dual purpose: dessert/wedding favor. And it would cost much less than having to buy dessert and favors. Brilliant.

Darren doesn't like sponge cake, so we could totally make/buy an angel food cake, frost it with whipped cream, add some strawberries, and use it for the traditional cake-cutting and then eat the hell out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment